Payogpog Falls – Guide to La Trinidad’s hidden wonder
Payogpog Falls – La Trinidad’s Hidden sight unlocked
Nestled inside one of the up-and-coming tourist spots in Barangay Shilan in La Trinidad – Sagpawe’s Hidden Garden – Payogpog Falls is one of the not-so-hidden sights in the municipality that you can explore when you are outside Baguio City!
Just some 30 minutes away from Baguio City, Payogpog Falls is one of the nearest natural attractions that can be found outside Baguio City. Sagpawe’s Hidden Garden can be reached in 10 minutes past DarJane’s Garden in Barangay Shilan. Aside from enjoying the falls itself, Sagpawe’s Hidden Garden is also a haven for plantitos and plantitas who are mostly fond of succulents. The whole property has a mini garden where you can buy plants, too, at an affordable price and enjoy the silence of nature.
I was a bit surprised that Barangay Shilan has many yet-to-be-discovered sites in the area, and all of which are nature tours and waterfalls that are breathtaking. As I am fond of trekking and looking for new places for us to visit, La Trinidad is yet to be ‘unmapped‘ for tourism! Contact me here if you want to me to visit other spots that can be discovered in La Trinidad or in the province of Benguet as a whole!
How to get to Payogpog Falls
Just like the way going to Binanga Falls, this falls is actually the source of Binanga, and it streams down to a third falls way below. Though the way is much farther but the trek to the falls is much shorter (around 10 minutes hike), the garden and the Payogpog Falls is worth the travel.
The falls can easily be reached when you are coming either from Baguio City or downtown La Trinidad:
1. From Baguio, Payogpog Falls can be reached by riding an Acop-Shilan-bound jeepney. Travel time is around 25-30 minutes from Baguio (Magsaysay Terminal near Baguio Center Mall). Fare is at ₱ 21.00 each, one way.
2. Drop off at Tacdian Elementary School (right side of the road)
3. Contact any Barangay Official upon arriving at the Elementary School Waiting Shed (our Contact was Sir Aries Sotel at +63 921 654 5686). Coordinate with him or with any other Barangay Kagawad and Tanod in the area. As the area is generally not yet open for tourism, please make sure to have a contact person in the area for proper coordination.
4. Car rentals per group range from ₱ 80 (from highway to turning point, one way) – this was option during our visit; and ₱ 120-150 (from highway to Bito River, one way).
5. There is an entrance fee when visiting Sagpawe’s Hidden Garden amounting to ₱ 150.00 – inclusive of snacks and coffee. The guide fee is also included in the entrance fee so you do not have anything to worry about. Try to minimize your waste! Remember, leave no trace! There is also an ample parking space in the area. I advise that you bring your own car / vehicle as the way going to Sagpawe’s Hidden Garden is quite far. The pinned location on your preferred navigation app is accurate. Just follow the road leading to the place.
6. The trek going to Payogpog Falls is approximately 10-15 minutes from the garden, depending to your pacing.
We’re born to travel!